Sunday, February 24, 2008

Re: Borders and pattern

I like the way that the broad shapes in these borders have been organized (defenitely on the right track), but part of what is going to push both/either the art deco and aztec feel is richly decorative and referential patterns. If we are simplifying the figures and coloring, we should see that as an opportunity to complicate the patterning a bit more. From a personal standpoint, I think most of the patterning we have settled on up to this point has been rather unambitious (no disrespect intended to anyone's abilities). If many of the people in this class, as has been shown up to this point, are not that comfortable dealing with the human figure, then we gotta find ways for those said individuals to be involved, beyond just coloring in other peoples drawings. I'll post what i have a little later tonight, but I think some detail in terms of patterns would be a good place for the new additions to the design "team" to start. Think about how it's gonna translate to the painting process too, because thinking about what we showed joe, wood grain and curtains as predominant border features, those textures would not be easy to paint by any means (probably the hardest thing to render effectively in the whole compostion). Cool. I'll post some new figure drawings lata tonight.

3 comments:

Nicole Vanche (Toki) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole Vanche (Toki) said...

Jake I agree with you on some points. unambitious? not so much. I dont know what to say to this post or how to help anymore, I've done alot of versions in many different styles, honestly its burning me out of ideas. Maybe we can just all post our ideas and versions as soon as possible, and someone can just sit down and make decisions about what goes where. At this point I think we just need final designs to work from. But unambitious? i dont know about that :/

elissa said...

Good chat people. I think that we have had some decisive imagery in the past but it has occured during varying stages of the designing process and needs to be reintegrated now. We found our way to themes that were agreed upon by the class while getting to know each other's strengths and now need to be decisive in a way that is more timely. Thanks for thinking it through! It can be a difficult process, I know...