Friday, February 22, 2008

Art Deco Push

Hello class,

I just got an email from Joe that he wrote at 2am last night.



He is asking that as we redraw the designs we reconsider the style of the theatre.
He says, "We need to get back to the deco, Mayan architecture. That's what should
frame the work. To me, what gets lost are the deco lines of the theater. The dark,
angular mood clashes with the realistic scenes of the murals."



I will call him to get more details soon but for now, let's consider this.



The border designs weren't completely done and I will explain out ideas to him as
well as point out how we went with the design on the chairs for the skeleton of the
borders. I do think we need to add elements of the initial Aztec/Deco border
designs we came up with into the borders. We could pull away from the fabric/curtain
references and go with more masculine deco lines.



I think we can also push some bolder lines in the figure scenes to pull away a bit
from the realism and echo the directness of the lines in the theatre architecture.
I don't want to entirely change our four figure panels- I want to show him how they
can still aesthetically combine with the deco/Mayan/Aztec architecture and have a
thematic impact/message.



Since we can't go anywhere without the design in place, I am going to ask that
CAROL, ED and GREG join the Design team with Nicole and Jake. (We can figure out a
new gesso plan in class next week)



I would also encourage the color team to pull away from realism and work on bolder
(not necessarily brighter), more definitive color choices. See Art Deco painting
for ideas.





So here is where we are at:

The borders and patterning are key to achieving what he is asking for. There are
Mayan/Aztec books on class reserve still in the library. Let's pull away a bit from
the Nouveau and push the Deco.



Backgrounds that are to be drawn (film, music) can be done in a bolder, more
stylized way.



Color should have more line work and Deco flair.



I will send another email soon with more details.

Hang in there everyone! We want him to love these!

1 comment:

Carolina Nulatienpo said...

Design team- let me know when your meeting or what I can do to help;
And I think the new super-deco designs are great.